Direct Mail is one of the most effective Marketing Strategies out there, according to recent statistics (Source). It has been making a difference to Marketeers and Customers alike, with many of the UK population responding to a Direct Mail piece they received in the past year. Let’s take a look at the Effectiveness of Direct Mail:
- In 2011-12 an average of 82% of direct mail was opened, including 96% for pharmaceuticals and 94% for car dealerships mail.
- The percentage who kept mail for future reference has remained constant at around 18%.
- 17.8m people ordered after receiving a mail order catalogue in the past 12 months.
- 17.86m adults have shopped via mail order in the last 12 months.
- 62% of adults who have shopped via mail order in the last 12 months browsed in a catalogue before ordering.
Direct Mail activity delivered the strongest return with an ROI of £4.60. Its performance has proven considerably stronger than the client’s search and above-the-line activity.
Return on Investment Statistics
- 56% of people welcome mail that gives them useful information.
- 70% of people welcome mail that reward their loyalty.
- 64% of people welcome mail from companies they are a customer of.
- 77% of people like being informed of special offers and promotions.
- 47% of consumers are more likely to open mail if it has a smell.
- 49% of adults are more likely to open mail if they are intrigued by the package.
- 44% of UK adults have done something in the last 12 months as a result of the direct mail they’ve received.
- 96% of Direct Mail offers an email or website response option.
- 97% of Direct Mail offers a telephone contact number.
- The TV component of campaigns pays back 37% more when direct mail is in the mix.
- 62% like to receive mail telling them about better offers or new services
When using email marketing in conjunction with other channels, which channels have you experienced most success with?
Direct Mail vs. Email
- 48% of customers felt that information received by direct mail was easy to take in compared with 20% by email.
As we look to the future, we are seeing definitive trends towards high-quality Direct Mail pieces being sent out. As Print Technology grows, so will the variety and individuality of a Mail Piece. Direct Mail is still relevant today and is still the most targeted form of advertising and will still give you a fantastic Return on Investment.
(Information From Royal Mail SMP)